Monday, March 02, 2009

They Got Me...Almost!

I was cruising down 51 this afternoon to avoid the Norodom goon patrol, admiring the cleverness of the goons for now setting up shop in front of the Heart. Well, I should have been looking ahead because another 10 meters down were more goons closing in on me. As they were slowly ushering me to the curb, they were well aware of my intentions (to speed away from them at any moment) and they were nervously positioning themselves in front of my escape routes. Finally, I get to the curb and leave the engine running, maintaining their nervousness.

"No hat", says the goon in front of the bike. "Hat? Huh? What?", I reply.

He must have figured that this was going no where and went on to "License. You need to have license." Didn't have it with me but told him, "I have license in my house." Again he says, "License." And again I reply, "I have license...in my house. You come with me and I will show you my license." We go back and forth on this one a few times.
He finally decides to try "hat" again. And I am ready to pay 2,000 so I ask him how much he wants for no hat. The bossman sitting under the umbrella speaks up and says, "Sir, go on." And off I go.

It's been many years since I was last pulled over by these guys, and I was quite surprised at the ease of the outcome.

BTW, anybody seen DonBong...he never pays us a visit anymore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

2000 wont even buy them a beer! I would have at least offered that! For the boss ofcourse!

Anonymous said...

Hey Khmerican, glad to see you are still around. I just got into the Philippines a few days ago. A word of warning, I will be in PP April 23 to May 5. What happened to Cleve? KYGreg

Khmerican said...

I'm am quite sure that they made up for what they "lost" from me. Besides, in years past, I have more than made up for this!